History

The history of Catholic schools in Saginaw dates back to 1868, but only in recent years have the schools joined together as a single system. Saginaw Area Catholic Schools formed in 2006, bringing St. Helen School, Ss. Peter & Paul School, St. Stephen School, St. Thomas Aquinas School and Nouvel Catholic Central High School under one umbrella. In March of 2010, the four parish elementary/middle schools were consolidated into two: St. Stephen School and St. Thomas Aquinas School. The schools were brought together to secure the future of Catholic education in the community and provide a sustainable financial model while maintaining a tradition of excellence in academics, arts and athletics. Governance is by a Board of Trustees under the Vicar of Education, Father Robert H. Byrne, and Bishop Joseph R. Cistone.

SAGINAW CATHOLIC SCHOOLS HALL OF FAME
St. Mary High School
Opened 1878: consolidated 1984 (Nouvel)
School colors: Red and White
Nickname: The Raiders (Red Raiders)
School Song: "Bells of St. Mary's"
 
St. Joseph High School
Opened 1896: closed 1971
School colors: Blue and Gold
Nickname: Buccaneers
School Song: "Notre Dame Victory March"
 
St. Andrew High School
Opened 1909: closed 1969
School colors: Black and Orange
Nickname: Bulldogs
School Song: "Notre Dame Victory March"
 
Ss. Peter & Paul High School
Opened 1910: consolidated 1984 (Nouvel)
School colors: Red and White (after 1946), Blue and Silver (prior to 1946)
Nickname: Crusaders (after 1961), Midgets (prior to 1961)
School Song: "Notre Dame Victory March"
 
Holy Family High School
Opened 1923: closed 1957
School colors: Blue and White
Nickname: Blue Jackets
 
Sacred Heart High School
Opened 1949: merged with St. Joseph High School 1965
School colors: Red and White
Nickname: Cardinals
 
Holy Rosary High School
Opened 1949: closed 1969
School colors: Blue and Grey
Nickname: Greyhounds
School Song: "Notre Dame Victory March"
 
St. Paul Seminary
Opened 1960: closed 1970
The six-year, 192 student-capacity, secondary and junior college boarding school was built to educate young men as possible candidates for the priesthood.
Click here to read related Faith Magazine article
 
St. Stephen High School
Opened 1963: consolidated 1984 (Nouvel)
Colors: Green and Gold
 
Nouvel Catholic Central High School
Opened 1984
 

HISTORICAL MILESTONES

1868 - A two-room school is opened at St. Mary in Saginaw by the people of the parish and the pastor.

1873 - St. Andrew School opens

It opened on the corner of Monroe and Fayette Streets.There are two teachers and 120 students, taught by the Sisters of Divine Providence.

1914 - 7 Catholic Schools in operation

There are five Catholic schools operated by parishes on the East Side: St. Joseph, St. Mary, Holy Family, Holy Rosary and Sacred Heart. On the west side are Ss. Peter and Paul and St. Andrew.

1938 - The Diocese of Saginaw is established by Pope Pius XI

The Most Rev. William F. Murphy is installed as the first bishop.

1952 - St. Stephen School opens

It opens with the school and church in one building – after several years of Masses held at the Court Theater.

1950s - 30 new schools are built across the diocese

Under the Most Rev. Stephen S. Woznicki, 30 new schools are built across the diocese, including St. Thomas Aquinas School, and 17 additions and major repairs are made to existing facilities to improve the quality of school buildings.

1959 - 15,000 Catholic students in diocese

There are approximately 15,000 students in Catholic schools across the diocese. There are nine religious communities providing sisters to teach in the schools.

1960 - St. Paul Seminary opens

It opens as a secondary and junior college boarding school to educate young men as possible candidates for the priesthood.

1984 - Nouvel Catholic Central opens

It merges the students of St. Mary, Ss. Peter & Paul and St. Stephen high schools.

2006 - Saginaw Area Catholic Schools forms

It brings together St. Helen School, Ss. Peter & Paul School, St. Stephen School, St. Thomas Aquinas School and Nouvel Catholic Central High School under one umbrella.

2010 - Further consolidation

The four parish elementary/middle schools are consolidated into two: St. Stephen School and St. Thomas Aquinas School.